Richard Ben-Veniste is a Washington legend. He has appeared more than 200 times on television and radio programs, including multiple appearances on Sunday morning news shows for ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, and Fox. Among his many distinctions, he has served on the 9/11 Commission, as the Chief Counsel (Minority) for the Senate Whitewater Committee, and as Chief of the Watergate Task Force for the Department of Justice. He is a partner at Mayer Brown in Washington, D.C.
Richard has devoted his life to exposing the abuses of power by those who wield it most. In his insightful memoir, The Emperor’s New Clothes: Exposing the Truth from Whitewater to 9/11, Ben-Veniste recounts a remarkable career spent in the pursuit of truth and accountability in the federal government. He touches on many of the topics he brings to audiences as a speaker, including:
• His emergence as a legal wunderkind who, at the age of 26, prepared the prosecution’s case in the bribery trial that helped “retire” the Speaker of the House John W. McCormack
• His appointment four years later to the role of Chief Counsel for the Watergate Task Force
• His work as counsel for the defense probing into the fiasco of the FBI sting known as Abscam
• Exposing the partisan agendas and attacks of the Senate Whitewater Committee
• Serving on the 9/11 Commission, during which he produced the most memorable episode of the hearings by inducing Condoleezza Rice to reveal the title of the memo, “Bin Laden Determined to Strike in U.S.”
Richard has had a truly legendary career in Washington, and shares his remarkable insight with groups across the country.Download Bio
The Emperor's New ClothesExposing the Truth from Watergate to 9/11
Thomas Dunne Books
A legal wunderkind, Ben-Veniste was hired at age thirty by Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox to investigate the Watergate cover-up. As chief of the Watergate Task Force at the time of the infamous "Saturday Night Massacre," the author played an important role in prosecuting the case and revealed the extent of Richard Nixon's involvement with his top lieutenants in a conspiracy to obstruct justice and commit perjury. The author gained further national prominence as a member of the 9/11 Commission, in which his artful questioning of Condoleeza Rice revealed how ill-prepared the Bush Administration had been in the weeks leading up to 9/11.
My Story Mr. Ben-Veniste discusses his role in the 9/11 Commission, Watergate, Whitewater, and experiences in the world of Washington politics.